A week back, QMobile surprised (rather shocked) everyone in the tech world by launching QMobile Noir A8. It’s a dual core 1GHz phone running Ice Cream Sandwich, PowerVR SGX 531 GPU, 4.3 inch capacitive screen and 1GB usable internal memory (total 2GB). All these great specs just for the price of PKR 14,500.
It runs on MediaTek MT6577 chipset (SoC) which is a respectable hardware platform and includes the above CPU/GPU. This same chipset is also running on several other Chinese phones like Lenovo A789, Haipai X710d, Bird v1277, HDC S3 clone etc.
The best thing for you is, it already has been rooted! Bin4ry at XDA-Developers has created a universal rooting script for ICS and Jelly Bean devices, and it should be able to root your QMobile Noir A8 as well. Here’s how to root Noir A8:
Steps for rooting QMobile Noir A8:
- Download and extract this archive.
- Go to Settings->Security and check “Unknown Sources”.
- Set phone to USB debugging mode from settings and connect to PC. When Windows ask for drivers, manually choose the location of the folder Noir A8 USB ADB drivers and install the drivers.
- Remove the cable, turn off your phone. Connect again to PC while it’s off, it will again ask for drivers. Now install driver from the folder “Noir A8 preloader VCOM”. (Thanks to max414 from PG for driver.)
- Now turn it on, still keeping it in debugging mode. Navigate to folder “Root_script_by_Bin4ry_v15” and open Runme.bat. Follow the instructions (choose normal mode) and you’ll have a rooted Noir A8! Check for superuser app and it should be in the app drawer.
Now, what you intend to do with this powerful beast for its price is up to you! You can modify it the way you like, install custom launchers and many more fun stuff! If you’re running out of internal memory (though 1GB is quite a lot for apps), you can always use Link2SD with microSD card.
If you have any more questions or corrections, please comment below! Thanks.